According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 40 percent of children between the ages of 3 and 6 use potentially dangerous amounts of toothpaste. The CDC and American Dental Association (ADA) recommend using no more than a pea-sized amount for children in this age group, and those younger than 3 should use no more than the size of a rice grain on their toothbrush. The problem with using excessive amounts of toothpaste has to do with the fluoride it contains. If you look closely, you’ll find fluoride-containing toothpastes have a warning on their label stating that “If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately.” This warning was made mandatory for fluoride-containing dental products by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in April, 1997. Ironically, while swallowing toothpaste is recognized as a cause for concern, we’re supposed to believe that drinking fluoridated water at any quantity is not only safe but beneficial for our teeth.
by Jessica Espinoza
Commercial toothpastes are full of chemicals and toxic ingredients. When you look at the ingredients of a tube of toothpaste, you will notice that most brands contain fluoride, sodium laurel sulfate, artificial sweeteners, colors, and flavors, all of which are unnecessary for dental health and do more harm than good to our […]