Health Impact News Editor Comments: This wonderful graphic provided by the Organic Trade Association shows just what is driving the organic movement in the U.S. – consumer demand! As such, it has a tremendous impact on our economy.
Given the fact that today less than 1% of our population is now producing food for the other 99%, and that a few large companies control the majority of the food produced in this country, you can be sure they have taken notice of this trend, and that they don’t like it.
As Mark Smallwood from the Rodale Institute correctly observes, we should not let the pro-GMO industrial food industry define organics for us. I would add that we also need to keep a close eye on the government definition of “organic” and the USDA organic certification program, as these industrial food giants try to water down the definition and get into the organic market. But I am glad to read in this article from Mark Smallwood that Rodale is not going to concede the nutrient debate either!
Dissecting Our Health
The end of 2012 raised quite a few eyebrows and much ire as some quiet and some not-so-quiet snubs were aimed at organic foods. First, the Stanford meta-analysis, which claimed organic foods were “no better” than conventional foods (though their actual findings showed some clear organic benefits). Then, the timid report from the American Academy of Pediatrics hesitantly providing a wishy-washy statement for pediatricians to use as a guide when discussing organic foods with patients. And, finally, the betrayal of Dr. Oz, a formerly staunch supporter of eating organic, who tucked tail and spouted support for GMOs (and venom at “elite” organics) like a well-paid industry mouthpiece.
All these messages claim to be focused on “health” and whether or not certain foods help or hinder our progress toward this mystical perfection for which we are all supposed to strive. But, as I was just coming to realize last fall, all these detractors have one thing in common: They narrowly define health in terms of nutrient content. And it struck me: Maybe the problem is we are speaking a different language.
Read the Full Article Here: http://www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com/dissecting-our-health/